Do you like to watch Surgery on the Learning channel?
Would you like to work in a unique environment?
- As a member of the sterile operating room team.
- In a challenging fast paced environment that can change human lives. An emergency can occur anytime and no two human beings are alike so… it is never boring.
Every day is spent exploring the human body, becoming familiar with surgical techniques, procedures and treatments. There is always something new every day. Technology and innovative changes are ongoing.
The Surgical Technologist works directly under the supervision of the surgeon (also called scrub or operating room technician in the past). With further training they can become first assistants.
- This college credit certificate program will prepare you for the role of the Certified Surgical Technologist (CST) who understands surgical procedures preparing, opening and establishing the sterile field, passing instruments and anticipating the surgeon’s needs for each step of the operation.
- This program can be your first step on a career ladder that leads to an associate degree in science specializing in surgical services, then a bachelor degree in organizational management. You can complete both programs right here at GCSC while working full, part time or simply continuing your education. You can then progress to a master’s degree at the college of your choice by following their plan requirements.
- Surgical Technologists can perform the roles of scrub role; assistant circulator (identify, position, and prepare the patient for surgery), or second scrub (maintain retraction, manipulate the camera during cut suture, or hold clamps applied by the surgeon).
- Your national board certification for surgical technology (CST) is recognized in all states.
- As you mature, you can opt to specialize in a particular field such as General Surgery, Trauma, Open Heart, Orthopedics, Gynecology/Obstetrics, Transplant, Robotic and/or Neuro Surgery.
- According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median 2016 income for was $45,160 and job growth in the field is expected to be faster than average.
- The professional association is the Association of Surgical Technologists (AST).
Contact the ADVISor
Professor Libby McNaron
Coordinator, Surgical Technology
Health Sciences Building, Third Floor, HS326